It’s our last fall right here in South Korea. The loopy factor is that each time we transfer to a brand new obligation station, three years appears like a stable chunk of time. Two years although? It’s the blink of an eye fixed. It appears like we concurrently simply bought right here and that we’ve been right here for our complete lives. I’ve been doing my finest to soak each second of this time up as a result of who is aware of after we’ll ever have the chance to return once more? I wish to write it down – if just for myself although – to recollect what fall is like in South Korea.
There are completely 4 distinct seasons in South Korea. They go one thing like this:
I feel we skated by fall a little bit bit final yr. We loved it, however we didn’t actually respect it. There’s one thing in regards to the finality of an obligation station that forces you to essentially dig your heels in and revel in it, if solely to recollect and respect it when you’re gone. Fall in South Korea is gorgeous, plain and easy.
Why You’ll Love Fall in South Korea
The altering of the seasons in South Korea is a giant factor. Like most issues right here, every part is completed a little bit further. There’s a competition for nearly every part. When summer time simply begins to present option to fall, we have a good time the cosmos blossoms and eagerly anticipate the arrival of pink muhly. Then, all of us go a little bit stir loopy ready for the Ginkgo leaves to alter, and everybody and their mom will get able to flock to the Asan Ginkgo Tree Highway. Spoiler alert: I’ve gone twice, however I’ve solely gone for periods. Ya woman isn’t too large on the crowds.
Fall is a little bit unpredictable when it comes to temperature. We’ve had days within the higher 70s that swing down into the low 30s at night time. These days, nevertheless, it’s jusssttt chilly sufficient to put on lengthy sleeves and pants all day, sticking across the mid- to-upper 50’s every day. It’s lovely, and the air remains to be clear, which is one thing we miss as soon as winter arrives in earnest.
Our Favourite Elements of Fall in South Korea
There’s so many little issues about fall right here at Camp Humphreys that actually are a deal with, and so they’re the little issues that I hope we bear in mind lengthy after we transfer away. If you happen to’re new to Camp Humphreys and South Korea, I extremely advocate digging in with a few of these issues first as a result of, belief me, they make the altering of the seasons even sweeter!
- Kimchi making – we’ve had the chance to look at (and be a part of!) a couple of Korean buddies for kimchi-making; some varieties are solely made each few years, so it’s actually neat watching. communities come collectively to make it occur.
- Hotteok season – 호떡 (ho-tok) is a conventional road meals that solely seems within the fall and winter; it’s like a stuffed pancake, and the candy ones on the 3/8 market are stuffed with brown sugar, nuts, cinnamon, and honey; we’ve additionally had meat-filled ones in Myeongdong in Seoul.
- Fall foliage – Like I mentioned, the autumn foliage right here is epic! The Ginkgo Tree Highway in Asan normally peaks across the second week of November, and delightful Seoraksan peaks in late October; clearly, these change primarily based on rain, and so on., however even because the leaves fall, it’s unimaginable to see.
- Chuseok – A few of our first actual recollections in South Korea have been over Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving) the place buddies and neighbors gifted meals and sweets, welcoming within the season; the roads is perhaps busy AF, but it surely’s such a welcoming, lovely expertise.
- Soup season – What? A season for soups?! Sure! That is the proper season for 삼계탕 (Samgyetang), which is a wealthy rooster soup cooked with ginseng.
I don’t know what’s in retailer for us subsequent, however I’ll simply be over right here absorbing the season – actually – till winter arrives and PCS season comes knocking.
Inform me – what’s your favourite season?