One of many first issues you will have to think about when planning your Iceland itinerary is whether or not to hire a automobile or whether or not to take excursions. Some will discover this a straightforward choice to make, while for others it may be extra of a dilemma. This checklist of ‘execs and cons’ is designed to assist the latter camp.
In inspecting this conundrum, I’ve ignored the problem of price as that is depending on quite a lot of components – whether or not you’re taking a bunch tour or a personal tour, what number of journeys you intend on making, the type of automobile that you simply rent, what number of there are in your get together, and so forth. It is possible for you to to evaluate which is essentially the most cost-effective possibility for you, however in fact price isn’t every part. There are additionally the next components to think about.
Day excursions or multi-day excursions are a well-liked possibility when travelling in Iceland. You’ll be able to select to go on excursions of sure geographical areas such because the Golden Circle or Snaefellsnes Peninsula, or themed excursions reminiscent of glacier excursions or volcano excursions. And there’s a mess of corporations providing excursions, with every part from personal customised excursions to bigger scale coach journeys.
- You don’t have to fret about driving routes, or certainly about driving and Icelandic driving rules. You merely present up, chill out and benefit from the view and excursions.
- With a bunch tour, versus a personal one, it’s additionally a possibility to fulfill like-minded travellers.
- You could possibly have a sneaky lunchtime drink in case your fancy takes it, and never have to fret about alcohol limits.
- As a rule, you’ll be tied to a inflexible timetable that dictates when you could depart and the place you’ll cease.
- The times might be fairly lengthy, relying on the character of the tour and the distances being travelled.
- If you’re half of a bigger tour, you might end up ready for people who find themselves not as punctual as you… or make your self unpopular in case you are the one making others wait!
If you’re studying this text anyplace apart from on A Luxurious Journey Weblog, then the possibilities are that this content material has been stolen with out permission.
Please make an observation of the net deal with above and contact A Luxurious Journey Weblog to advise them of this problem.
Thanks to your assist in combatting content material theft.
Hiring a automobile
An alternative choice to taking an organised tour is to rent a automobile. You could possibly nonetheless observe a selected itinerary – a so-called self-guided tour – or you could possibly take your personal pre-planned journey or simply resolve what you fancy on the day. Simply as with an organised tour, although, there are a variety of points you would possibly want to contemplate.
- You’re in cost! You’ll be able to select when to set off, the place to cease, how lengthy to spend at totally different locations, and so forth.
- You’ll be able to arrive at areas early (or keep later) to beat the crowds.
- You’ll be able to adapt your plans in accordance with the climate – take an early lunch if it occurs to be raining, as an illustration.
- You (or somebody in your get together) must do all of the driving.
- The roads and driving situations may be very totally different to what you’re used to, notably in case you enterprise on to Iceland’s F-roads.
- Except you might have expertise of driving in snow and ice, you may not want to hire a automobile in Iceland in the course of the Winter months. Additionally, word that some roads in Iceland could also be closed within the winter because of climate situations.
For me and my household travelling within the Summer season, it felt that automobile rent was the most suitable choice and we went with automobile rent with Icerental 4×4 to offer us extra flexibility and independence. For us, this proved to be an incredible expertise and we’d do the identical once more. If we occurred to be visiting in Winter, our conclusion would possibly nicely have been totally different, given the decreased daytime and more difficult driving situations. You should resolve what’s greatest for you and your circumstances, however I hope the concerns offered above provides you with loads of meals for thought, and allow you to make the precise choice for you.
Have you ever been to Iceland? Did you’re taking excursions or rent a automobile? Or maybe a little bit of each? What was your expertise and would you do the identical once more? Please inform us within the feedback!
Planning a visit to Iceland your self? You’ll be able to watch a video from our journey to Iceland right here: