UPDATED primarily based on new CityPASS pricing for June 2022.
I don’t know what it’s concerning the metropolis of San Francisco, however I simply love being a vacationer there. I get giddy with the anticipation of hanging off the facet of a cable automobile. I’m fascinated by the ocean lions at Pier 39. I like strolling the streets for hours, admiring the structure and exploring totally different neighborhoods. I by no means, ever tire of wanting on the Golden Gate Bridge.
It’s one in all my favourite cities and so I used to be thrilled to have the prospect to share the Metropolis by the Bay with my daughter. And since we had been going to be vacationers for two days in San Francisco and visiting so lots of the primary sights, I believed possibly it was a great time to take a look at the last word vacationer instrument — the CityPASS.
However I needed to ask, is CityPASS San Francisco value it?
Be aware: This submit incorporates affiliate hyperlinks. In the event you click on a hyperlink and make a purchase order, I could obtain a small fee. All opinions are my very own.
CityPASS advertising and marketing supplies make a giant deal about how one can save 45 p.c on a few of the metropolis’s prime sights, Altogether, for those who paid full value for all sights, you’d spend $138.70 (relying on which sights you selected), versus the CityPASS value of $76 (or $67 for a 3 attraction cross). To determine if CityPASS San Francisco is value it, you want to ask your self just a few questions:
- How lengthy will you be on the town? (CityPASS is legitimate for 9 days)
- How lots of the sights do you actually need to go to and what number of you can you actually go to?
- Which sights do you wish to go to and would you like the pliability to select from the complete checklist?
Is CityPass San Francisco Price It?
CityPASS will get you entry into 4 sights:
- The California Academy of Sciences (in Golden Gate Park)
- A Blue and Gold Fleet Bay Cruise Journey (departing from Pier 39)
- Plus a selection of two of the next:
- Aquarium of the Bay (at Pier 39)
- San Francisco Zoo and Gardens
- The Walt Disney Household Museum
So technically, you probably have at the very least two days in San Francisco, you can also make full use of the CityPASS, though you is likely to be extra snug spreading the sights out over three days.
Simply understand that for those who don’t wish to be speeding from attraction to attraction throughout a brief keep within the metropolis, now you can additionally buy a three-attraction CityPASS possibility for $67 per grownup. This three-attraction cross lets you select three from any of the sights above or:
- San Francisco Museum of Fashionable Artwork ($25 per grownup)
- Bay Metropolis Bike and Park Broad Bike Leases (from $32.00)
- da Younger Museum + Legion of Honor ($15 per grownup)
Pattern 2 Day Itinerary utilizing CityPass
Here’s what you are able to do, for simplicity I simply calculated the financial savings for one grownup utilizing the 4 attraction cross. Remember the fact that some sights require advance registration, which you are able to do even when utilizing a CityPASS. Different sights might require proof of vaccination.
- Cease by the Blue & Gold Fleet workplace to e-book the morning Bay Cruise Journey (mornings are greatest if you wish to discover a spot exterior for higher bridge viewing) (common value $36.00)
- Get pleasure from lunch on the wharf after which hop into the Aquarium of the Bay (common value $29.75)
- Stroll alongside the waterfront or take the F line avenue automobile from Pier 39 to the Exploratorium
- Go to the Exploratorium (financial savings $29.95 – reserve tickets upfront)
- Stroll all the way down to the Ferry Constructing for a snack (possibly some ice cream at Humphry Slocombe?) after which take the California Cable Automotive again to the Union Sq. space
- The following day, take the #5 bus to Golden Gate Park and hop off by the California Academy of Sciences
- Spend a few hours within the California Academy of Sciences having fun with their rainforest, aquarium, and pure historical past displays (common value varies however round $42.25, reserve tickets upfront)
- Lease some bikes to discover extra of what the park has to supply earlier than taking the bus again downtown
How a lot would you might have spent on sights? $137.95. Subtract the price of the CityPass and also you’ve saved $61.95 per grownup.
Backside line? If you’re visiting San Francisco with your loved ones and plan to spend at the very least two days touring the town, the CityPASS is an efficient funding if the sights sound fascinating and you might be dedicated to visiting every of them.
Is Go CITY San Francisco an Choice?
If you’re on the lookout for different choices, the Go Metropolis San Francisco card covers plenty of what the CityPASS affords…the Aquarium by the Bay, a bay cruise, the California Academy of Sciences, the Exploratorium, and tons of different sights together with a Hop On/Hop Off bus.
Altogether, the Go Metropolis San Francisco card affords over 25 sights, which is rather a lot to do in only a few days, however fortunately they allow you to select between all-inclusive passes that embody all of the sights, and the Explorer Go that features simply 2, 3, 4, or 5 sights.
After all the value is determined by what number of sights you select. To match apples to apples, let’s decide the 4 attraction cross for a similar sights which are included within the CityPASS.
The Go Metropolis value for a 4 attraction cross is $79. That’s just a bit greater than the $76 CityPASS.
I’d decide the CityPASS over a Go Metropolis Card UNLESS you might be spending extra time in and round San Francisco, because the Go Metropolis Explorer Go is legitimate for as much as 60 days, which makes it a great choices even for locals eager to play vacationer of their residence cities. When you have time to go to extra sights, likelihood is one of many Go Metropolis cross choices is an efficient various. Nevertheless I’d nonetheless advocate that you simply do the mathematics between the common value of the sights you wish to go to and the present value of the cardboard.
NOTE: I like to recommend wanting on the applications and the sights you wish to go to as what it covers modifications over time and costs might change.