In case you are trying to unwind and chill out to recharge your vitality – Sagres, which sits on the western-most tip of the Algarve in Portugal, is simply the ticket. Right here’s what one solo traveller skilled on her mission to domesticate peace and wellbeing on a retreat.
I headed to the Memmo Baleeira Lodge, a stunning up to date 4-star spa lodge overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Why? This was to be my dwelling for per week whereas on a wellness retreat.
What did you do in Sagres?
As quickly as I arrived I explored my environment. Armed with a cute little map from the lodge I hiked the cliffs, explored the village, relaxed on the seashores, and soaked up the attractive views of the ocean. There was loads of time to discover Sagres, which is ready in a Nature Park, between lessons and eating with fellow friends on the retreat.
Hit the seashores – There are 4 easy-to-reach and completely wonderful golden sandy seashores in Sagres.
- Praia de Baleeira sits on the base of some steps a few minutes stroll from the lodge – it’s small, quiet, and the proper spot for watching the solar rise.
- Praia do Martinhal a little bit additional up on the coast towards Faro (a 5 minute stroll) is way more spacious, has some dunes, a few seashore bar/eating places and a lifeguard. A lot of households had been right here enjoying within the light surf, and it was the gateway to a wonderful cliff-top hike alongside the coast.
- Praia da Mareta is a on the alternative facet and takes approx quarter-hour to stroll to from the lodge (except you are taking the lengthy route around the headland – which is certainly price it!). It’s a excellent spot for browsing and mild sufficient for swimming, has a lifeguard, seashore chairs with parasols, and a few choices for sea-view eating. This was my favorite of the seashores in Sagres, sheltered by the cliffs and with loads of house.
- Praia do Tonel is a small seashore just a bit additional up from Mareta and THE place to move for some critical surf motion. It’s smaller than the opposite seashores, however does have a seashore bar for refreshments.
Crammed my cup with yoga and breathwork – Michael Bjiker of Yogalap holds Yoga and Breathwork retreats on the Memmo Baleeira Lodge. There have been two light, accessible and deeply nourishing periods a day held within the lodge yoga studio, which had essentially the most memorable sea-views and sunrises. All meals was included in our keep, and there was loads of alternative to take time for your self in addition to join with different folks on the retreat.
Watched the surfers – when the surf was small, of us had been out on their physique boards and having fun with the waves; and when the windier climate got here in loads of surfers had been out and using the massive ones. The views of surfers at Tonel seashore from Fortaliza de Sagres had been gorgeous.
Explored the village – Sagres is small, and has a soothing low-key vibe. Within the village you’ll discover loads of vibrant homes, lodging for individuals who come to surf, hike and bike, a smattering of retailers and some locations to eat and drink.
- What to eat: The fruit! It tastes of sunshine! Açaí berry smoothie bowls are a giant hit right here. Pastel de Nata (Portuguese custard tart) are hailed as the perfect pastries in Portugal, and one I want I may overcome my gluten intolerance to get pleasure from – I’m instructed they’re AMAZING. Savoury meals in Portugal? It’s all in regards to the seafood and peri peri.
- The place to eat: Sagres “excessive road” has a couple of decisions – Dromedario, Agua Salgada, and Pau de Pita are all serving up healthful treats and have a stunning welcome vibe.
- What to drink: As I used to be on a wellness retreat, water was my go-to (bottled not faucet – see why within the prime ideas beneath!) however actually everybody ought to attempt a beer known as Sagres. Identical to all the pieces else about this place the beer is healthful – made utilizing conventional methods with no preservatives or components.
- The place to buy: There are a couple of surf outlets that inventory the standard surf manufacturers, plus Surf Sagres which has customised attire and native presents. Ceramica Mo has conventional ceramics and low cost n cheerful seashore garments and equipment. Shaz Boutique was my favorite place to purchase a deal with – ethically sourced garments and equipment and a vibe that makes you are feeling particular!
Realized in regards to the sacred house of Sagres – This village has a really particular really feel. It’s tranquil, calm, it’s distant and you are feeling very near nature. Individuals come right here to surf, to hike, and to get out on their bike, and as Sagres sits in a protected Pure Park you possibly can actually take time to attach together with your environment. Sagres has lengthy been considered a particular place – its identify interprets as holy or sacred and at one level it was often called “the tip of the world” as a result of no-one knew what may presumably be past the huge expanse of ocean.
Visited the fortress – Fortaleza de Sagres was constructed within the 15th Century to guard the city from invaders. There isn’t an enormous quantity to see right here, however it’s undoubtedly definitely worth the brief stroll from the village and the three€ entry for the dramatic views, an opportunity to enter the chapel, and to expertise the Chamber of Sound – an incredible construction that amplifies the sound of the waves within the caves beneath and even creates a updraft in the event you stand on the protection grill.
Hiked the headlands – Go in any path and you’ll find yourself in a distant and great wilderness, and all the time with wonderful views.
Indulged in swimming swimming pools and spa therapies – Memmo Baleeira Lodge has a heated out of doors pool with sea views and solar loungers, in addition to an indoor pool, sauna, and hammam. Massages and coverings can be found however I selected to have a therapeutic massage from an area woman known as Julia who got here to the lodge and arms on coronary heart it was the perfect therapeutic massage I’ve ever had!
What did you like (and never love) about Sagres?
I beloved the peace, the contemporary air, the birds, the wind, the sunrises, the solar units, the folks I met, the seashores, the swimming, the meals… I believe I beloved all the pieces! Açaí berry smoothie bowls, my great therapeutic massage, the best way the sunshine dances on the ocean and the cliffs, and the wonderful moments with the group will eternally be in my coronary heart.
I suppose anybody in search of a celebration vibe or vibrant night-life would most likely not love the remoteness of this wild haven.
What are your prime ideas for visiting Sagres?
Purchase bottled water! The water is secure to drink in Portugal however… nicely, I’d prefer to say it’s an acquired style however I’m undecided it’s – everybody drinks bottled water right here as a result of the faucet water doesn’t style good!
Take good out of doors clothes! The climate right here could be very weathery. It may be very windy, it may be scorching and sunny, if rain is coming it comes down arduous after which simply as out of the blue makes means for clear blue skies. The hikes require good trainers or strolling boots. For max enjoyment take garments that stand as much as all the weather and a good daypack.
Get a flight to Faro and get a taxi switch. It’s potential to get busses or a mixture of trains and busses to get to Sagres, however it might probably take some time! Taxi switch from Faro airport took 1h 20 minutes and price round 120€.
Would you go once more?
In a heartbeat! I went solo this time, and it felt tremendous secure to take action, however I actually wish to soak all of it up once more and subsequent time with my household. Sagres is tremendous kid-friendly and an excellent place to go in the event you like out of doors adventures, good meals, and good folks.
Fancy heading out to Sagres on an out of doors journey? Be sure you’re lined in case issues don’t go to plan. Youngsters go free on our journey insurance coverage – get an internet quote right now!