Zirrar talks to translator, vocalist, poet, and educator Haleh Liza Gafori about her ebook GOLD, a brand new translation of Jalal al-Din Rumi’s poetry. They talk about the Persian ghazal, a poetic kind consisting of couplets, and discover why Rumi’s enchantment, eight centuries after his demise, has been so enduring. Haleh additionally describes her translating course of, and the inspiration behind her work.
WHAT WE TALK ABOUT IN THIS EPISODE
- Why translate Rumi? Why name the ebook ‘Gold’?
- The ghazal kind – and the way it differs from different types of poetry
- Current translations of Rumi; distinction in approaches and interpretations; significance of getting quite a few translations
- Errors in translation
- Coleman Barks
- Haleh’s course of and method in translating Rumi
- Significance of understanding religious / Sufi phrases when translating
- Accessibility of Rumi’s poetry in Persian, even with eight centuries between us and him
- Rumi’s life; how he ‘eliminated the shackles’ – i.e. worldly attachments and issues of the ego; the affect of Shams. How this ‘de-chaining’ was mirrored in his poetry
- Cause and rationality vs. Love
- Intricacies of translation; steadiness between a gorgeous translation and capturing the supposed which means
- How Haleh selected which poems to translate
- Compassion, love, and different classes Rumi teaches in his poetry; Rumi as a information for the reader
- Celebrating pleasure
PEOPLE / THINGS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
FURTHER READING / LISTENING
Haleh Liza Gafori is a translator, vocalist, poet, and educator born in New York Metropolis of Persian descent. She grew up listening to recitations of Persian poetry and has maintained and deepened her connection via singing and translating the poetry of assorted Persian poets for effectively over a decade. Her ebook, GOLD, options her translations of poems by Rumi, the thirteenth century sage and mystic. GOLD is revealed by New York Evaluation Books/NYRB Classics, distributed by Penguin Random Home.
A vibrant number of poems by the nice Persian mystic with groundbreaking translations by an American poet of Persian descent.
Rumi’s poems had been meant to induce a way of ecstatic illumination and liberation in his viewers, bringing its members to a situation of serenity, compassion, and oneness with the divine. They continue to be masterpieces of world literature to which readers in lots of languages frequently return for inspiration and succor, as wellas aesthetic delight. This new translation by Haleh Liza Gafori preserves the intelligence and the drama of the poems, that are as filled with particular person character as they’re of visionary knowledge.
SUPPORT OUR WORK
Up till this level, our platform has been sustained financially by our personal small crew of volunteers, however to ensure that us to progress and develop as an organisation, we’d like your assist.
We’re dedicated to creating prime quality content material. Our work highlights points of Muslim historical past and tradition which are typically missed, and focuses on offering sources for Muslim travellers. We’re additionally dedicated to difficult Orientalist narratives in journey writing and images, and showcasing the work of writers and photographers whose work actively seeks to ‘reclaim’ the narrative.
If you happen to take pleasure in our content material and imagine in our imaginative and prescient, please think about supporting us financially by both turning into a Patron – or making a one-off contribution to Sacred Footsteps. Thanks and maintain us in your prayers!