The Qutub Minar is an iconic monument of Delhi. It was constructed by the well-known ruler of the time, Qutub-ud-Din Aibak, in 1193, and it has a peak of 73 meters (238 toes). The tower is taken into account an necessary architectural heritage due to its Indo-Islamic-styled structure.
In case you plan to go to Delhi, don’t overlook to know particulars and the checklist of locations to go to in Delhi metropolis. Visiting Qutub Minar is extra than simply its architectural magnificence or studying about its historical past—it’s a fully-immersive expertise.
Desk of Contents
Issues to do
Locations to go to close by
- How one can Plan a visit to Qutub Minar?
How one can attain
Finest time to go to
Timing and entry price
- Motels and Resorts
Qutub Minar is a tower that stands tall within the coronary heart of Delhi. It was constructed by the primary Muslim ruler of Delhi and is believed to be one of many tallest brick minarets on this planet. The tower is 73 meters excessive and made from purple sandstone and marble.
The towering minaret was constructed with purple sandstone and marble and had a spiral staircase made from purple sandstone on its exterior. The highest flooring incorporates chambers for prayer, in addition to a mosque on the second flooring. At every nook of the tower had been two small towers referred to as guldaste that guards used to maintain watch from above; these have since been faraway from the construction on account of security considerations.
The Qutub Minar is taken into account one in every of Delhi’s most necessary landmarks as a result of it offers perception into each Islamic structure and medieval Indian historical past; moreover, it has been used as an inspiration by many different artists all through historical past, together with Shah Jahan, who constructed the Taj Mahal based mostly off this design.
Qutub Minar is a tower in Mehrauli, Delhi, India. Qutb-ud-din Aybak constructed it from 1199 to 1210 CE and was the primary Muslim ruler of Delhi.
The seminar was constructed as a victory tower to commemorate his triumphs over the Hindu rulers of this area. Though the development was accomplished in 1210, it was broken by lightning strikes and earthquakes and needed to be repaired a number of occasions. It was restored by Muhammad-bin-Tughluq, Firuz Shah Tughluq, and Sikandar Lodi within the coming years.
This tower is excessive and has 379 steps to its prime. The phrase Qutub means “axis” or “pivot”, signifying one’s religious pivot (or axis) between the temporal world and religious realm.
There may be additionally a mosque contained in the complicated that may accommodate many worshippers at any time. The mosque is open just for Muslims throughout prayers; guests are allowed to enter its courtyard freely at different occasions. It’s one in every of Delhi’s hottest vacationer locations and attracts about 3.9 million guests yearly.
Qutub Minar’s structure is an ideal instance of the great thing about Islamic structure. The monument contains 5 tales, every with a definite model and design.
The primary flooring is rectangular, whereas the second flooring is sq.. The topmost portion has a diameter of 14.3 meters. It incorporates an inscription that mentions the names of donors who contributed to constructing this magnificent construction.
The primary gate on coming into the complicated is known as “Peshwa Darwaza”. It has three arches and delightful carvings throughout its partitions depicting scenes from Hindu mythology like Bhagavad Gita, Ramayana, Mahabharata, and many others.
There are 5 entrances on all 4 sides apart from one facet with two doorways. Seven flooring might be accessed by means of these entrances. Every flooring has over 100 rooms on each facet apart from one facet with solely two; this room faces east in the direction of Mecca and is known as the “Tomb Room”.
Information about Qutub Minar
The Qutub Minar is one in every of India’s most well-known monuments and one of many world’s tallest free-standing towers. However do you know that…
- It was constructed by Qutb-ud-din Aibak, an enslaved Turkish who turned Sultan of Delhi.
- The minaret was about 5 tales excessive—however the prime two tales have since collapsed.
- The tower has been repaired often on account of earthquakes and different pure disasters.
- Legend has it that its uppermost story was imagined to be created from gold when it was first constructed.
- Qutub Minar was constructed from purple sandstone and coated with ornamental Indo-Islamic carvings and verses from the Quran.
Complete information to cowl Qutub Minar
The Qutub Minar is among the hottest vacationer sights in Delhi, and for cause. This historic monument is a component of a bigger complicated referred to as the Qutub Advanced, together with different temples, tombs, and gardens.
Guests can nonetheless take pleasure in loads of issues at this website regardless of these limitations:
- They will take footage from floor stage up by means of the primary few tales.
- They will stroll round close by gardens.
- They will discover different buildings inside the complicated, like a tomb or mosque, in the event that they’re thinking about studying extra about Islamic and Qutub Minar structure or tradition.
Issues to do
In case you’re on the lookout for issues to do close to Qutub Minar, we’ve obtained you coated!
The inside of this tower can also be value testing—it incorporates intricate carvings and delightful designs made by expert craftsmen over 900 years in the past. Some components of those carvings have been broken by climate over time, however they’re nonetheless lovely to take a look at.
The outside design construction was constructed utilizing completely different bricks that had been put collectively in numerous methods relying on what sort of construction they’d be used for (for instance, some components had been made utilizing solely purple bricks whereas others had been constructed utilizing each purple and yellow).
Listed below are a number of the various things you are able to do whenever you go to:
- Go to the Tombs of Qutb-ud-din Aybak and Shamsi Badruz Jahan Begum
- See the Dome of Asaf Khan’s Tomb
- See the ruins of Lal Kot Fort and Humayun’s Tomb
- See the Royal Baths (hammam) contained in the complicated
Place to go to close by
Vacationers can go to many different sights close to Qutub Minar to make their journey extra full. Some well-liked locations embrace Humayun’s Tomb, Nizamuddin Dargah, Crimson Fort, Purana Qila and Safdarjung Tomb amongst others.
There are a lot of different locations close by the place you may go for enjoyable actions similar to buying or simply exploring the town on foot or by bike. Delhi is thought for its scrumptious road meals, so take a meals tour of the town and expertise the true flavours of this metropolis. Listed below are some options for issues you are able to do round Qutub Minar:
- Humayun’s Tomb ( Entry Price: INR 35, For Foreigners: INR 550)
Humayun’s Tomb, positioned in Delhi, India, is legendary for its intricate structure and beautiful design. Humayun’s widow constructed the Tomb after his dying in 1556. The construction was constructed to resemble a Persian tomb duplicate, which impressed the design.
Folks can go to the Tomb and discover the intricacies of its structure. They will additionally take pleasure in a panoramic view of New Delhi from atop the terrace of this mausoleum.
The Tomb is positioned at a distance of 10 km from Qutub Minar.
The Nizamuddin Dargah is among the most-visited locations in Delhi. The well-known shrine attracts hundreds of holiday makers on daily basis. It provides them a glimpse into India’s wealthy tradition, historical past, and traditions.
The Dargah is positioned within the Mehrauli space of South Delhi. It may be reached simply by highway or public transport. The closest metro station is Chawri Bazar, just some minutes from the shrine.
- Crimson Fort ( Entry price: INR 35, Foreigners: INR 500)
Crimson Fort is among the most well-known monuments in Delhi. It has been named after the colour of its sandstone partitions. It was constructed by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan as an emblem of energy and to commemorate his victory over the Mongols in 1638.
How one can Plan a visit to Qutub Minar?
Planning a visit to Qutub Minar is simple in the event you observe these easy steps.
- Select the perfect time to go to: If you wish to skip the group, it’s best to go to Qutub Minar early within the morning.
- Try the climate: Whether it is raining or extraordinarily scorching or chilly, then plan accordingly by sporting heat clothes or a raincoat or umbrella, relying on the season.
- Be sure to have sufficient money available as there are not any ATMs close to Qutub Minar, and you might want some cash for meals and different issues similar to souvenirs from close by outlets.
- A very powerful step is reserving lodging close to Qutub Minar upfront! You may keep at any one of many many accommodations which are shut by so that you just don’t have to fret about transportation whereas exploring this historic monument.
How one can attain Qutub Minar?
The closest railway station to Qutub Minar is Anand Vihar, which is served by the Delhi Metro. The metro system operates on a single line from Anand Vihar to Dwarka Sector 21. You may take an auto or rickshaw from Anand Vihar to Qutub Minar, lower than 19 km away. You can even use this route in the event you’re taking public transportation from different areas of Delhi.
In case you’re coming from elsewhere in India, there are numerous choices for attending to Anand Vihar by prepare. Some trains cease at Previous Delhi Station, which is about 15.4 km away from Qutub Minar; others cease at Hazrat Nizamuddin Station (about 13 km away); others cease at New Delhi Railway Station (about 15 km away).
Qutub Minar, top-of-the-line UNESCO World Heritage Websites in Delhi, is positioned in Mehrauli. The closest metro station is Qutub Minar which is round 3km away from Qutub Minar. It’s simply accessible by highway from wherever in Delhi, taking a cab in delhi is one of the simplest ways to journey across the metropolis. To journey to Qutub Minar by automotive, take the Ring Street (NH-2) and exit at Mehrauli Village.
If you wish to attain Qutub Minar right away, you may select to fly to Delhi. The town is linked to main cities in India and different components of the world by means of air journey.
Relating to air journey, many airways function flights from numerous cities to New Delhi airports. Air India, Jet Airways, Indigo Airways, and SpiceJet are some airways.
Finest time to go to Qutub Minar
The finest time to go to Qutub Minar is in the course of the winter months.
The climate in Delhi is extra nice and delicate throughout this time, which makes it a good time to go to Qutub Minar.
In the course of the winter, you may take pleasure in a stroll across the space with out getting too scorching or uncomfortable.
Additionally, there are fewer crowds at Qutub Minar throughout this time of yr, so you may take pleasure in your time there with out feeling rushed or crowded.
Journey ideas for visiting Qutub Minar
- Journey gentle. There are not any lockers on the Qutub Minar, so that you’ll want to hold all of your belongings. Don’t deliver something you wouldn’t need to be stolen.
- Put on snug sneakers. The Qutub Minar is a steep climb; in the event you’re not used to exercising usually, it may be arduous in your knees and ankles.
- Convey a water bottle and a few snacks. The queues might be lengthy, and there’s nowhere to purchase meals contained in the complicated of constructions; it’s higher to have your provisions in case you get hungry or thirsty earlier than your flip comes up!
- The very best time to go to Qutub Minar is between October and March.
- Keep away from visiting on weekends and holidays, as it is going to be very crowded.
Qutub Minar Timings and Entry Price
The Qutub Minar timings say it’s open from 9:00 am-5:00 pm every day. In case you’d like to go to the Qutub Minar, your finest wager is to go throughout off-peak hours when there received’t be many individuals round (assume early morning or late night).
Qutub Minar Tickets for entry into the complicated are INR 30 for Indians. Nonetheless, there’s a further price for foreigners contained in the complicated with an entry price of INR 550.
Motels and Eating places close to Qutub Minar
|Hilton Backyard Inn New Delhi / Saket||A4 Dlf Avenue | Saket District Middle, New Delhi 110017, India|
|Udman Lodge by Ferns N Petals||N- 82, Panchshila Park, New Delhi 110017, India|
|The Grand New Delhi||1-3-1024, Nelson Mandela Street | Vasant Kunj – Part II, New Delhi 110070, India|