Through the years I’ve accomplished my share of mountain climbing within the rain. Other than the 5 years I lived within the Pacific Northwest, on a Bearfoot Concept group journey to Alaska, we spent 8 stable days backpacking within the rain. Mountaineering within the rain and staying snug is a little bit of an artwork, nevertheless it all begins with having the proper gear.
That can assist you keep dry in no matter situations it’s possible you’ll face, we put collectively this listing of the very best rain jackets for girls which have withstood the check of the path by the Bearfoot Concept crew. On the very backside, we speak in regards to the supplies and technical options of mountain climbing rain jackets that will help you decide precisely what you want.
Finest Ladies’s Rain Jackets At A Look
Finest Ladies’s Rain Jackets Comparability Desk
See the comparability desk beneath for a fast abstract of every of the highest girls’s rain jackets. You’ll be able to click on on the columns to kind by what’s most necessary to you.
Finest Rain Jacket for Downpours
Arc’teryx Beta AR Ladies’s Rain Jacket
- Weight: 13.2 ounces
- Extremely waterproof and windproof with 3-layer Gortex safety
- Pit-zips to maintain the air flowing
- Weatherproof zippers
- Adjustable hem wire to maintain chilly air out on chilly, windy days
- MSRP: $599
Verify Worth: REI
Nice for: mountain climbing in downpours, individuals residing in wet climates
Execs: most waterproof jacket on the listing, “Lifetime of product” guarantee, very sturdy
Cons: costly funding, heavier and bulkier than different jackets
Arc’teryx is among the dearer outside manufacturers, and for years I puzzled in the event that they have been definitely worth the value. Then proper earlier than my Alaska backpacking journey the place I wanted to be ready for the weather, I discovered the Arc’teryx Beta AR rain jacket for 30% off at REI and determined to strive it out. After mountain climbing via downpours 8 of 10 days on that backpacking journey, I’m so glad I made the funding. I by no means felt clammy, damp, or chilly carrying the Beta rain jacket and the waterproof zippers prevented water from seeping in. It stored me utterly dry, the jacket itself dried rapidly, and the pit zips have been important for avoiding feeling sweaty and clammy. This jacket additionally holds up in opposition to the wind rather well.
If you reside within the PNW or one other moist, chilly local weather or have a backpacking journey the place the climate is a significant concern and wish one thing that may maintain up in opposition to numerous rain and wind, this jacket is an superior selection. For drier climates, lugging this jacket round could be a bit overkill, relying on the season. I took it on a backpacking journey within the Sierras final summer season and it was positively greater than I wanted for the occasional sprinkle because the Beta jacket is stiffer and doesn’t pack down in addition to extra light-weight choices.
General, I’m so glad to have made the funding on this rain jacket and it’s my go-to for mountain climbing within the PNW and different wet climates, nevertheless it’s not the rain jacket I pack for each outside journey. If you would like one thing just a little extra light-weight, take a look at the Arc’terx Beta LT.
Finest Ultralight Rain Jacket for Backpacking
Out of doors Analysis Ladies’s Helium Rain Jacket
- Weight: 5.5 ounces
- No-frills elastic cuffs
- Constructed with among the highest expertise with Pertex Defend+ 2.5-layer nylon.
- Water-repellent entrance zipper
- Adjustable hood
- MSRP: $159
Nice for: ultralight backpacking, tossing in your daypack or automobile for emergencies
Execs: packs all the way down to pocket-size, one of the crucial light-weight jackets on our listing, breathable
Cons: no hand pockets, not a ton of additional options
This Out of doors Analysis Helium Rain Jacket is nice for backpackers and hikers who need to shed weight from their pack. Bearfoot Concept’s former group supervisor, Kim, packed this rain jacket on her Pacific Crest Path thru-hike and cherished the way it packed down tremendous small and held up in opposition to the weather. Weighing lower than 6 ounces, it’s the most light-weight rain jacket available on the market! That is additionally an ideal rain jacket choice to toss in your mountain climbing daypack for emergencies because it weighs subsequent to nothing.
Nonetheless, the most important draw back of this jacket is there aren’t any facet pockets, so if you’re somebody who likes to carry your keys, cellphone, or pockets in your pocket whilst you’re mountain climbing or taking a stroll within the rain, this will not be the jacket for you.
Finest Price range-Pleasant Rain Jacket
REI Rainier Ladies’s Rain Jacket
- Weight: 11.4 ounces
- Packs into its personal zipper
- Bluesign® accredited cloth, that means its manufacturing has the bottom doable influence on individuals and the surroundings
- Windproof to 60 mph
- Pit zips
- Adjustable hood
- Sealed seams to stop leakage
- MSRP: $99.95
Verify Worth: REI
Nice for: finances buys, summer season journeys, light-weight backpacking, mountain climbing, and tenting
Execs: versatile for a lot of outside adventures, holds up in windy situations
Cons: doesn’t maintain up in heavy rain, not effectively vented
The REI Rainier Ladies’s Rain Jacket presents incredible worth at a finances value! At lower than $90, it’s among the best rain jackets for girls on a finances and is the rain jacket that Linda, Bearfoot Concept’s Director of Operations, at present sports activities on wet day adventures. She’s been utilizing it on all her mountain climbing, tenting, and backpacking journeys since getting it final yr and completely loves it.
The Rainier Rain Jacket is light-weight and does an amazing job at repelling rain and blocking out wind. It has all of the options we search for in a rain jacket, like pit zips, an adjustable hood, and pockets in all the proper locations, plus it additionally comes at an amazing value level. She loves this rain jacket a lot that she additionally purchased one for her husband for Christmas. You’ll find the boys’s model right here.
Finest Eco-Pleasant Rain Jacket
Patagonia Torrentshell Ladies’s Rain Jacket
- Weight: 12.5 ounces
- 3-layer waterproof jacket that gives long-term efficiency
- Jacket stuffs into pocket and clips to your pack with a carabiner
- Sturdy water repellent zippers
- Two-way adjustable hood
- MSRP: $149
Nice for: individuals seeking to purchase eco-friendly gear, windy situations, mountain climbing in downpours
Execs: deep pockets, Bluesign-approved cloth – constructed from recycled nylon waste, good wind resistance
Cons: stiff materials, runs small (really helpful to order a measurement up)
We’re large followers of Patagonia at Bearfoot Concept, because of their sustainable enterprise practices and high-quality gear. So it’s no shock that the Patagonia Torrentshell made the listing of the very best girls’s rain jackets. This light-weight rain jacket is made with sustainable, eco-friendly supplies, has an adjustable hood, and is available in a wide range of colours. This jacket holds up extraordinarily effectively within the wind, preserving you not solely dry however heat.
Finest Light-weight Rain Jacket for Journey
Eddie Bauer Ladies’s Cloud Cap Rain Jacket
- Weight: 8 ounces
- StormRepel Tremendous DWR
- 2.5-layer WeatherEdge® seam-sealed
- Waterproof coated entrance zipper
- Pit zips
- MSRP: $99
Verify Worth: Eddie Bauer
Nice for: journey, summer season use, light-weight backpacking
Execs: one of the crucial light-weight jacket choices, adjustable hood
Cons: cloth makes a crinkly noise when carrying
Linda, BFT’s Director, wore the Eddie Bauer Ladies’s Cloud Cap Rain Jacket on a visit to Yosemite Nationwide Park and had an opportunity to try it out on the Mist Path and in a summer season thunderstorm. The decision? It’s the proper ultralightweight rain shell, particularly in heat climate and on backpacking journeys the place you don’t need to carry any further weight. She additionally wore this rain jacket in Hawaii and loves that it’s stylish sufficient to put on round city in addition to on the mountain climbing trails.
Because it packs down so small and is so gentle, it’s simple to throw in your daypack or journey bag so that you’re ready in case you get caught in a day downpour. It has pit-zips for air flow and an adjustable hood – two options we take into account important for any rain jacket, and it folds up small into the right-hand pocket making it simple to convey alongside on any journey.
Most Sturdy Rain Jacket
Black Diamond Stormline Stretch Ladies’s Rain Shell
- Weight: 8.7 ounces
- Produced from Black Diamond’s proprietary BD.Dry 2.5 layer cloth
- Pit zips
- Adjustable hood
- Waterproof coated entrance zipper
- Packs into hand pocket
- MSRP: $159
Nice for: outside sports activities like biking and climbing, heavy rain, light-weight backpacking
Execs: extraordinarily sturdy cloth, breathable, one of the crucial light-weight jacket choices
Cons: outsized hood (for those who’re not utilizing it for biking), stiff cloth
You may know Black Diamond from their climbing or backcountry ski gear, however additionally they make incredible girls’s outside attire. This Black Diamond Stormline Stretch Ladies’s Rain Shell will stand as much as no matter nature throws at it.
This rain jacket has comparable options to most of the different jackets on this listing and is available in a wide range of colours. What units the Stormline other than the opposite rain jackets on our listing is that this jacket is tailor-made for outside sports activities like climbing and biking with ultra-stretchy cloth for added mobility and a climbing-helmet-compatible hood. If you would like a girls’s rain jacket that may sustain with all of your outside sports activities, that is the one.
Finest Worth Rain Jacket
North Face Enterprise 2 Ladies’s Rain Jacket
- Weight: 10.6 ounces
- 2.5 layer waterproof and windproof cloth
- Pit zips
- Packs into hand pocket
- Totally taped seams
- Worth: $98.95
Nice for: brief hikes, dry climates
Execs: a tried and examined mannequin that has been round for over a decade, nice worth for value
Cons: can really feel sticky if mountain climbing for prolonged durations of time in it
One other budget-friendly shell on this listing of the very best rain jackets for girls is the North Face Enterprise 2. This was my rain jacket earlier than I upgraded to the Arc’teryx, and I discovered it to be efficient, snug, and sturdy. It’s an amazing rain jacket selection for shorter outings the place you may encounter scattered showers or backpacking journeys in drier climates the place climate isn’t an enormous concern. It packs down tremendous small, is light-weight, and has a stretchier texture that I discover fairly snug in comparison with different rain jackets.
This jacket doesn’t present a lot wind safety or heat and I wouldn’t depend on it for prolonged downpours or tremendous moist climates. If I hike for lengthy durations of time on this jacket, I can begin to really feel sticky, nevertheless it does have pit zips which helps regulate temperature. Be warned, this jacket does are inclined to run small so I like to recommend sizing up to make sure a roomy slot in case you need to layer with base layers beneath.
6 Components to Contemplating When Shopping for a New Rain Jacket
The value of a rain jacket does make a distinction since you’ll get increased high quality merchandise which have gone via extra testing, analysis, and growth to make sure they work effectively. Whereas a decrease or mid-priced mountain climbing raincoat will nonetheless get the job accomplished, it typically comes at the price of some consolation, whether or not that’s a sturdy Gore-tex outer layer or breathability and air flow on the within that may decrease sweating.
Though it’s robust to spend a bigger chunk of change on a bit of drugs, it’s typically definitely worth the cash and might prevent from having to exchange that merchandise a number of instances sooner or later. Consider it as an funding that may final you for a few years, fairly than an overpriced piece of drugs. On this case, it’s value it.
Should you’re on a finances, select a high quality mid-priced raincoat – the REI Rainier Rain Jacket is a good choice – that has the options you want and use most frequently. Take into account the actions you do most frequently and select a light-weight rain jacket that fits your mountain climbing type. Chances are high you may resell it if it’s nonetheless in good situation and when it is advisable to improve you’ll know precisely what to purchase.
One other nice choice to save cash is to purchase gently used outside gear.
2. Waterproof vs. Water-Resistant
If you’re investing in a sturdy and efficient rain jacket that may stand as much as the wind and rain, you’ll need one thing that’s waterproof. Whereas waterproof raincoats are good for gentle wind and rain, they don’t have as many technical parts and the material received’t do you a lot good in a storm.
A light-weight windbreaker is an effective instance of a waterproof jacket and you’ll think about how that may fare for those who get caught in an sudden thunderstorm on the path (spoiler: not effectively).
A mountain climbing rain jacket ought to match unfastened sufficient you could add further layers beneath and have a superb vary of movement that permits you to transfer your arms round comfortably. It must also match comfortable sufficient so that you don’t have an excessive amount of further cloth getting in the way in which as you’re mountain climbing.
4. Jacket Supplies
Should you’ve ever been for a hike within the rain, then you definitely may know the way uncomfortable and distracting it’s to really feel moist from the rain whereas additionally struggling via that sticky feeling of your jacket clinging to your pores and skin out of your sweat.
A very good raincoat will assist maintain you dry by preserving moisture out from the skin whereas additionally permitting sweat or different water vapors from the within to evaporate.
Listed below are the most typical waterproof materials you’ll discover when selecting a mountain climbing raincoat.
- Gor-Tex: We regularly point out Gore-Tex right here at Bearfoot Concept as a result of it’s a preferred technical cloth that’s generally utilized in waterproof outside gear. Gore-Tex is an artificial, waterproof cloth that retains you dry within the rain or snow. Its light-weight development makes merchandise with Gore-Tex nice for breathability and air flow so that you received’t get overheated whenever you’re sizzling on a wet hike. A raincoat with Gore-Tex is a sturdy, waterproof choice that helps maintain you cool and dry.
- Sturdy Water Repellent (DWR): DWR is an additional coating that gear corporations add to mountain climbing raincoats that permit them to actually repel water from the jacket. As water hits the floor of the material it beads up and rolls proper off fairly than getting absorbed or evaporating. DWR positively retains you dry, nonetheless, it may possibly make a raincoat barely much less breathable. It additionally requires a little bit of repairs as a result of the end can put on off over time, so it’s possible you’ll must reapply a brand new DWR coating now and again. Both approach, DWR is a good choice for staying dry and infrequently comes at a cheaper price than Gore-Tex.
There are a couple of different supplies that main outside manufacturers are utilizing, akin to DryVent, eVent, and many others, typically with proprietary expertise, however Gore-Tex and DWR are essentially the most generally utilized in the very best rain jackets for girls.
>> Learn Subsequent: Ideas for Mountaineering within the Rain
5. Variety of Cloth Layers
Most raincoats have a 2, 2.5, or 3 layer development to them that sandwiches the a number of completely different layers or membranes of material collectively to create a water-proof jacket. Right here’s a fast breakdown of the three varieties that may assist you navigate the product description and the worth if you end up selecting a mountain climbing raincoat.
- Midweight 2 Layer Rain Jacket: The midweight 2 layer raincoat is a extra budget-friendly choice that often prices beneath $100. It’s the least technical model and has a mesh liner, in order that they are typically breathable, however don’t have as stable of waterproofing. It’s good for carrying round city and shorter hikes the place it’d rain. (Instance: North Face Enterprise Rain Jacket)
- Midweight 2.5 Layer Rain Jacket: The mid-range 2.5 layer raincoat is a greater waterproof choice and barely much less breathable than a 2 layer. Nonetheless, it’s a sensible choice for longer wet hikes and backpacking journeys. These rain jackets are light-weight and compact with extra technical options like pit zips and DWR. 2.5 layer rain jackets can price over $100. (Instance: Out of doors Analysis Helium Rain Jacket)
- 3 Layer Rain Jacket: Probably the most sturdy and technical choice is the three layer raincoat, also called a hardshell, which presents final safety, typically in a light-weight package deal. It is a nice choice for backcountry and harsh climates and might price $150-$300+. (Instance: Patagonia Torrentshell)
6. Vital Options
Earlier than you buy a rain jacket, be sure you take into accounts what options you need and wish akin to:
- Adjustable Hood: Having a superb hood to guard your face and eyes from the weather is a vital characteristic of a mountain climbing rain jacket. Search for one that’s adjustable and has a brim to defend your eyes from wind and rain.
- Armpit Vents: It is a MUST for me with any rain jacket I purchase. When there may be an excessive amount of humidity within the air for simply your mountain climbing raincoat to do the trick, strategically positioned vents, particularly across the armpits, might be your new finest pals. Pit vents launch heat air, and a few even have vents within the hood or the pocket linings.
- Adjustability drawcords: If you end up out in gale-force wind and rain, and even one thing rather less intense, adjustable drawcords within the hem or waist of your raincoat will cinch within the cloth to assist maintain the weather out.
- Sealed Zippers: Zippers are locations the place moisture can seep into the within of your rain jacket. Bonded seams on the zippers will assist maintain the rain out, and issues like laminated zippers and a zipper storage (a small flap of material to cowl the zipper when zipped) will maintain you dry.
Associated weblog posts:
What’s your favourite light-weight rain jacket for mountain climbing? Inform us within the feedback beneath!