Boulder Metropolis, Nevada is a captivating and idyllic group perched above Lake Mead and the dam that created the city. Established in 1931 to deal with the builders of Boulder Dam (later modified to Hoover Dam), Boulder Metropolis will not be removed from its neighbor identified for glittering neon lights and excessive stakes gaming. Whereas simply 30 miles from Las Vegas, Boulder Metropolis is a world away from the town that by no means sleeps. There are not any vibrant lights or playing allowed in Boulder Metropolis. As an alternative, it’s a peaceable place to walk the streets and go to classic retailers, vintage shops, peruse the general public artwork or its many parks. Boulder Metropolis is the gateway to many close by actions, from the Hoover Dam, water sports activities, lake excursions, ghost cities to mountain climbing trails and extra.
Like most individuals coming from Phoenix, I sometimes simply bypass Boulder Metropolis en path to Sin Metropolis. Nonetheless, this time, I made a decision to spend three nights absorbing the historical past and close by actions.
Whereas there are a selection of locations to remain on the town, I opted for the historic Boulder Dam Resort, which is positioned within the coronary heart of downtown, strolling distance to retailers, eating places, museums and extra. Inbuilt 1933, the Boulder Dam Resort has preserved its appeal and traditional fashion of the period. The foyer is a big and open house inviting company to congregate in quite a lot of seating configurations. My accomplice and I loved the wingback chairs subsequent to the expansive fire within the evenings with a cocktail in hand.
There are three lodging ranges to select from. We stayed in one of many suites which was 420sf and included a big rest room, king mattress, seating space and kitchenette. The usual rooms have a queen mattress at 210sf and so they have king rooms which might be 100sf bigger. In addition they have an on-site restaurant for breakfast and lunch, and a basement bar that usually has reside music. There’s additionally the Hoover Dam museum positioned on the primary ground which is admittedly price trying out, and admission is free.
The tempo in Boulder Metropolis is way slower and extra quiet than Las Vegas, and the one ringing you’ll hear are from the church bells offering the time of day. The primary drag via city is Nevada Manner, from which the whole lot stems. Inside historic downtown are fantastically preserved brick houses from the early 30s when the dam was being constructed.
BEST RESTAURANTS IN BOULDER CITY
We tried a number of eating places whereas on the town, however since we had been off exploring within the afternoons, we ended up having late breakfasts and early dinners, skipping lunch.
- Espresso Cup Cafe – That is in all probability one of the vital well-known eating places on the town due to visits by Man Fieri of “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. They’re additionally well-known for his or her Bloody Marys and engaging down-home cookin’. The decor and format are traditional diner fashion with partitions adorned by water-skis and different memorabilia paying homage to the world.
- Southwest Diner – That is one other Boulder Metropolis establishment specializing in home-made meals like Grandma used to make. That is an inexpensive place for breakfast or lunch. A lot of their menu objects, like fresh-made banana bread, pies and even their scorching sauce, can be found for take-home buy.
- The Restaurant at Boulder Dam Resort – Good venue, modest and informal eating at this historic resort.
- Milo’s Cellar – In all probability often known as one of many nicest locations on the town for dinner. Beautiful environment with outside patio. Nice wine choice and menu objects that complement the vino expertise.
- Momo Sushi – A improbable hole-in-the-wall sushi restaurant run by an area Japanese household.
- The Dillinger – Gives connoisseur burgers, scrumptious salads and craft beer.
- Cornish Pasty Co. – The Cornish Pasty originates from Cornwall England which is known for its pasties, a sandwich of types made with a thick crimped edge alongside one aspect making them simple to eat. The venue is admittedly cool, however the meals and repair was fairly mediocre. I want to give this place a second probability sooner or later as they’ve a couple of different areas in Arizona.
There are a few BBQ and Mexican eating places on the town that seemed good, however we didn’t get an opportunity to verify them out on this journey. When you’ve got any suggestions, please depart them within the feedback under.
TOP THINGS TO DO NEAR BOULDER CITY
- Hoover Dam after all is likely one of the most important sights, this engineering marvel is to not be missed. When you’ve by no means been, I extremely advocate spending a couple of hours touring this unbelievable achievement. Take the tour that takes you down into the depths of the dam, see the large mills, peer out of the vents of the dam trying down the Colorado River and study in regards to the historical past of constructing the dam that created the most important man-made lake within the States. Don’t miss strolling the Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge for an unparalleled view of the dam.
- El Dorado Canyon Ghost City in Nelson – Situated about half-hour south of Boulder Metropolis is a spot that encapsulates Nevada’s wild west roots. It is a privately owned ghost city out there to pursue by yourself, or you possibly can take a tour, which features a take a look at the Techatticup Mine that after produced thousands and thousands in valuable metals.
- Hemmenway Valley Park – There are plenty of great parks in Boulder Metropolis, however this one is especially fascinating. This park is simply 10 acres and consists of playground tools, gazebos, basketball courts, horseshoe pits and two lighted tennis courts with improbable views of Lake Mead. The park’s most important sights although is the Bighorn sheep that come down from the mountains to water and graze. The sheep are very used to people, you possibly can sit on a park bench and watch them graze throughout you.
- Railroad Tunnel Path – It is a great scenic hike that takes you alongside the previous railroad tracks that served to assemble the Hoover Dam. You’ll discover views of Lake Mead alongside the way in which as you go via a number of tunnels that had been chiseled out of the rock. You possibly can stroll all the way in which to Hoover Dam and again, which is about 9 miles. The scenic half stops about midway if you run throughout a toilet, which additionally makes a superb turn-around spot and is half the space.
- Lake Mead – It is a improbable leisure lake providing cruises, all types of water sports activities, fishing and extra. The drive alongside Hwy 167 presents some spectacular views. When you drive far sufficient, you possibly can go to the fascinating ghost city of St. Thomas, which was underwater for many years earlier than the lake start to recede. A contact farther is Valley of Fireplace, which is simply an hour away from Boulder Metropolis.
TOP THINGS TO DO IN HISTORIC DOWNTOWN
- Boulder Metropolis Artwork Guild Gallery – Situated within the historic Boulder Dam Resort, this artwork gallery options the works of native artists and is a must-visit for artwork lovers.
- Boulder Theater – This classic movie show, in-built 1932, has been totally restored and now serves as a venue for movies, concert events, and different occasions.
- Nevada State Railroad Museum – Situated in a historic depot, this museum encompasses a assortment of restored locomotives, passenger automobiles, and different railroad tools.
- The Olive Department – This store presents quite a lot of olive oils, vinegar, and different specialty meals objects, in addition to tastings and cooking courses.
- The Chocolate Nugget – This artisan chocolate store presents quite a lot of handcrafted sweets and different sweets, in addition to chocolate-making courses.
Many will ask why Boulder Metropolis has no gaming…it’s as a result of the town was based as a federal reservation for Nice Melancholy-era staff constructing the Hoover Dam, and because it was on authorities land on the time, playing, in addition to consuming, was unlawful. It wasn’t till a decade after the federal authorities gave up possession of the town within the 60s that liquor was even allowed. Native leaders have continued to withstand playing in Boulder Metropolis to maintain it a respite from the remainder of the state.
If you’re planning on visiting Las Vegas, do your self a favor and carve out a pair three days and spend it in Boulder Metropolis, it makes an exquisite house base to discover the sights listed above, in addition to a reprieve from the hustle of Sin Metropolis.
When you’ve got any questions on visiting Boulder Metropolis, depart a remark under. When you’ve got any options, corresponding to locations to see or eating places to go to, please share under. So till subsequent time, we’ll see ya on the highway…