We’ve been looking for a little bit of stability between work and play currently since life in South Korea has opened up significantly from a lot of its Covid-related restrictions. Since masks are now not obligatory outdoor, we’ve made it a precedence to get exterior as a lot as potential, and over a latest four-day weekend, we determined to sort out one thing off our bucket record and head to Pohang (포항시) for a fast journey. Now, Pohang isn’t actually near Camp Humphreys, however we actually wished to expertise the Pohang Area Stroll, so we determined to make a visit of it.
At the beginning, Pohang isn’t a giant title when it comes to South Korean cities. It’s the principle seaport within the Daegu-Gyongbuk area, nevertheless it’s primarily an space of trade and recognized largely for its crabbing and seafood. So, why did we wish to go to Pohang, you ask? A legitimate query. Pohang lately opened its Spacewalk, also referred to as the most important walkable artwork set up on all the peninsula. You’re most likely pondering…what? Actually, we did too, however the footage don’t lie.
At first look, the Pohang Area Stroll appears like a rollercoaster. Hovering 25 meters excessive, it options 717 steps and spans 333 meters in width, overlooking Pohang correct, in addition to Youngil Bay and Youngildae Seashore. It’s a more moderen attraction, nevertheless it’s supposedly extraordinarily packed on weekends, so we scheduled our journey to go to on a Monday morning, and it was way more manageable when it comes to crowds. Discovering the tackle was no simple feat, however we navigated our manner on the market from our Airbnb (extra on that later), and ventured to what truthfully felt like a very obscure location.
What to Know Concerning the Pohang Area Stroll
The Area Stroll was really designed by German artists and resembles the unique in Germany. As much as 250 folks can expertise the set up directly, and there’s a guard on the entrance to restrict the variety of folks at a time, in addition to guarantee solely certified guests enter.
It was a very cool factor to expertise, and it undoubtedly felt like a really Korean factor to do. If you happen to’ve adopted my weblog for a while, you know the way I’ve professed that South Korea pours the whole lot it has into its outside sights (like Farm Kamille and the Mancheonha Skywalk) – and the Pohang Area Stroll is completely no exception. The views are spectacular, the factor really sways and wobbles slightly bit (which is wild) as you stroll, and it’s undoubtedly a type of random issues you may’t simply expertise wherever. Would I’m going again? Most likely not; it’s a one and accomplished, nevertheless it was undoubtedly cool.
Who Can Do the Pohang Area Stroll
The Pohang Area Stroll shouldn’t be for everybody, sadly. They restrict who can do the Pohang Area Stroll as such:
- You have to be no less than 110 cm to climb the Area Stroll (this meant Mieke couldn’t do it, so we did it in teams)
- You can’t put on carriers, so infants have to be left on the backside with an grownup
- That is not an accessible attraction; should you can’t stroll, you may’t enter
- You’ll have to flip in water bottles and unfastened gadgets earlier than getting into
Listed here are a number of different issues to notice in regards to the Area Stroll, as effectively:
- Whereas it appears cool, be aware that you would be able to’t really enter that big upside-down loop on the high. It’s blocked off, and also you really should stroll two separate sides that meet within the center and look as much as the inaccessible high loop. I’d truthfully hoped it had be designed in a manner that allowed strolling with out really being upside-down, however no-go.
- There’s a appreciable little stroll from the parking zone on the park to the Area Stroll, itself. Parking is free.
- If you happen to get vertigo simply, I wouldn’t advocate the Area Stroll, because it undoubtedly sways a bit within the breeze.
- Whether it is too windy, they may shut the attraction.
- Admission is free, and it’s upon 10 AM – 8 PM M-F and 10 AM – 9 PM Sat – Solar.
Pohang Area Stroll Deal with
Bought?! You wish to go to the Pohang Area Stroll? Even with its quirks, it was undoubtedly well worth the go to as a result of when are we ever going to expertise these distinctly South Korean sights once more? I had a little bit of a tough time discovering the Pohang Area Stroll tackle in Hangul and English, so hopefully this helps another person:
- Waze Deal with: Duho-dong, Buk-gu, Pohang-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
- Naver/Kakoa Deal with: 경상북도 포항시 북구 환호공원길 30