I just lately loved an important vacation in Miami & Costa Rica. You may learn my journey stories right here:
- Evaluate: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Enterprise Class from Frankfurt to Miami
- Evaluate: Acqualina Resort on the Seashore, Miami, USA
- Evaluate: Nayara Tented Camp, Arenal Nationwide Park, Costa Rica
- Evaluate: Nayara Springs & Backyard, Arenal Nationwide Park, Costa Rica
- Evaluate: Lapa Rios Lodge, Corcovado Nationwide Park, Costa Rica
- Evaluate: Andaz Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
- Evaluate: 4 Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo (at the moment)
- Evaluate: Los Altos Resort, Manuel Antonio Nationwide Park, Costa Rica
- Evaluate: Edelweiss Air Airbus A340 Enterprise Class from Liberia to Zurich
At this time: Evaluate of 4 Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
4 Seasons Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo is situated on the unique Peninsula Papagayo, a master-planned resort group encompassing 2,300 acres. The resort’s 155 visitor rooms, suites and residences seize the unique character of Costa Rica, with snug rattan and bamboo furnishings, native paintings and indigenous wooden and stone finishes. On the coronary heart of the property – proper between two gorgeous seashores – await three swimming swimming pools, immersed in lush landscaping and surrounded by spacious pool decks with ample chaises lounges. Different services embrace three eating places, kids’s membership, and a world-class spa encompassing eight therapeutic massage rooms, seven moist remedy rooms with showers, and 4 facial remedy rooms. Designed by Arnold Palmer, the resort’s 18-hole, par-72 championship golf course was designed with the golfer in thoughts.
Have you ever ever stayed at 4 Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? In that case, what was your expertise? Go away a remark.
On this assessment (extra information and pictures under my YouTube video):
PROS & THINGS I LIKE
- 4 Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo is positioned on Costa Rica’s northwest Pacific coast inside the province of Guanacaste. Generally dubbed Costa Rica’s “Gold Coast”, Guanacaste presents one of the best seashores within the nation. The world can also be house to Santa Rosa Nationwide Park, not solely a Costa Rican historic website but additionally house to 10 completely different habitats together with mangroves, swamps and evergreen and dry forests. One other gem is Rincon de la Vieja Volcano Nationwide Park, a refuge for birds and wildlife, that includes spectacular vegetation, effervescent mud holes, refreshing river swimming pools and waterfalls. Guanacaste can also be house to certainly one of Costa Rica’s two worldwide airports; situated in Liberia, the Guanacaste Worldwide Airport receives many continuous direct flights from main US and European cities. One other protected treasure of Guanacaste is the Rincon de la Vieja Volcano Nationwide Park, a refuge for birds and wildlife, that includes spectacular vegetation, effervescent mud holes, refreshing river swimming pools and waterfalls.
- The 4 Seasons Resort Costa Rica is situated on the unique Peninsula Papagayo, a master-planned resort group encompassing 2,300 acres. This secluded pure sanctuary supplies ample alternatives to expertise eco-adventure on land and within the water. The peninsula possesses some of the extraordinary landscapes on the planet: a dreamlike 1,400-acre canvas of coastal dry tropical forest surrounded by miles of uncrowded seashores teeming with uncommon and magical wildlife. Moreover the 4 Seasons, the gated resort group can also be house an Andaz resort (which I reviewed right here) and the personal 10 gap Arnold Palmer Signature Golf Course, with a number of new resorts and services below building, together with a model new sports activities mecca, aerial-adventure playground, and a Ritz-Carlton Reserve. Friends of the 4 Seasons Resort have entry to all the Peninsula Papagayo‘s services (free transfers by van and ebikes are supplied).
- From the doorway gate of the Papagayo Peninsula, a 4.3 mi (7 ok)m majestic driveway winds alongside the undulating peninsula, snaking its means alongside the golf course. The final stretch of the drive presents an outstanding view of the resort – which is situated on an isthmus, sandwiched between two seashores (extra on that under) – earlier than the driveway drops right down to the resort’s principal foyer constructing. The latter is a dramatic crescent construction with some unique design touches, setting a softly curvilinear theme that’s discovered all through the property. Contained in the stylish foyer, a bamboo ceiling, earth tone decor and supplies like woven material and charred wooden evoke the pure parts of the resort’s environment. Some pops of black accent the area, a nod to Costa Rica’s volcanoes. To the rear, the open-air foyer’s opens to an important view of the resort grounds. A travertine staircase descends from the foyer to the principle bar and the pool space past.
- Stretching over 250 acres of lush tropical grounds, the 4 Season Resort enjoys a spectacular setting on the tip of the Papagayo Peninsula. Surrounded by imposing hills and flanked by two magnificent seashores, the property occupies an isthmus barely 250 ft (80 m) vast. On one aspect of the isthmus is lengthy and vast grey sand seaside (Playa Blanca), that runs alongside the shore of Culebra Bay. On the opposite aspect of the isthmus is a stupendous crescent of palm–shaded white sand (Playa Virador), lapped by the blue calm waters of the Pacific Ocean. There’s a 4 Seasons seaside membership with solar loungers on each seashores, however Playa Blanca – which faces the bay – is the busier seaside, because it includes a water sports activities heart the place company can hire gear (together with kayaks, paddleboats, and Hobie cats). Playa Virador, which lies in entrance of the adults-only pool (extra on that under), is extra tranquil and has the added bonus that it presents gorgeous sundown views.
- Comprised of a sculptural cluster of earth-toned stucco pavilions, the 4 Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo was designed by world-famous architect Ronald Zrcher Gurdián, whose agency is predicated within the nation’s capital, San José. Zürcher – who designed this resort about 20 years in the past – aimed for a luxurious resort with an genuine Costa Rican vibe immersed in native tradition quite than a generic resort that could possibly be discovered anyplace. The result’s a singular nature-inspired structure, which blends seamlessly into the encircling tropical dry forest and with no constructing taller than the timber. Whereas masterplanning his creation, Zrcher was impressed by two of Costa Rica’s most beloved creatures, the turtle and the armadillo, each of which simply occur to make their properties on the slim peninsula. Following their lead, Zrcher gave a number of of the resort’s low-lying buildings the spherical form of a turtle’s shell and mimicked the armadillo’s arched, humped again for the roofline of lots of the resort pavilions situated larger up the hill.
- The ethereal inside of the 4 Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo matches its grandiose but understated structure. In 2018, the modern oceanfront property underwent a $35 million USD refurbishment from high to backside which was overseen from famend design studio Meyer Davis. The renovation included all rooms & suites, a redesigned foyer atrium, 4 new eating ideas, a re-imagined spa, a brand new personal concierge lounge and an enhanced pool space. The New York Metropolis primarily based design agency managed to seize sun-drenched luxurious in an uncontrived style, seamlessly mixing the Papagayo Peninsula’s lush tropical panorama with the 4 Season’s signature indoor-outdoor areas. The inside’s crisp but soothing coloration palette is impressed by the wealthy deep colours of Costa Rica, just like the blue ocean, the white sand, and the inexperienced jungle. Regional fabricators and craftsmen made 90% of the furnishings, so the decor has an inherent connection to its location, which is additional enhanced by wealthy pure parts and indigenous paintings.
- 4 Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo options 181 spacious rooms and suites, which had been all redesigned in 2018. The lodging are housed in a number of multi-story pavilions, whose curved roofs appears to drift within the timber (the upper the ground, the higher the view). Throughout my vacation, I used to be upgraded to a ‘Brisa Room’, which was situated within the pavilion proper subsequent to the household pool, providing quick access to all of the resort services. The bed room, which featured an enormous kingsize mattress and a small sitting space, opened to a furnished patio with a partial view of Playa Virador. The ensuite lavatory featured twin sinks, a deepsoaking tub, a bathe room, and a non-public WC room. The room featured new furnishing, wealthy textures and native parts like artisanan items and paintings that created a seamless visible connection to the ocean views on show past the room’s personal patio. Providing views of the encircling tropical forest or bay with the choice of furnished patios and adjoining infinity-edge swimming pools, the resort’s suites supply appreciable extra space in contrast with the rooms.
- On the coronary heart of the resort – surrounded by the foyer, eating places and rooms and solely a brief stroll away from the 2 seashores – is an spectacular pool space, which contains 4 completely different swimming pools, each with its personal ambiance. With a floor of 1000 sq m (10765 sq ft); the Bahia freshwater pool is the resort’s principal pool, welcoming company of all ages with loads of room for enjoyable and train. Just a few steps down from the Bahia pool is Blanca pool; with views over vigorous Playa Blanca, this pool is surrounded by dozens of snug solar loungers and umbrellas, and can also be related to a whirlpool grotto. Not removed from Blance pool is the property’s children pool, whose shallow entrance and kid-sized loungers make it the proper playground for the little ones. On the opposite aspect of Bahia pool, down a staircase, is an adults-only pool, providing an environment of full tranquility for these in want of that; this pool was my favourite one, not solely due to its serene ambiance, but additionally as a result of it’s the one pool at seaside stage, providing nice views of and quick access to Playa Virador.
- 4 Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo has six eating places & bars on website:
- Bahia, situated subsequent to the household pool, is the resort’s all day eating restaurant. A wood-fired open kitchen is the centerpiece for this refined venue, the place substances from grilled prawns to café chorreado are domestically sourced. Bahia additionally presents a breakfast buffet within the morning and includes a juice bar serving refreshing seasonal juices and smoothies.
- Positioned one flooring under the foyer, Pesce is the resort’s signature restaurant, serving traditional Italian delicacies and native seafood, with an in depth wine listing amid panoramic ocean views.
- Positioned on the elegant Peninusla Papagayo golf clubhouse, Nemare is a complicated Latin steakhouse that gives a artistic culinary expertise. The restaurant’s title and domestically infused eating idea is drawn from the Chorotega phrase for “smoke,” celebrated throughout the menu in its craft cocktails and flavourful dishes.
- Palapita Faucet Home is a relaxed new venue situated on the peninsula’s tennis heart. Right here company can take pleasure in quite a lot of Costa Rican avenue meals and domestically crafted beer by Papagayo Brewery.
- Within the evenings, vigorous Añejo – situated under the foyer – turns into the guts of the resort, with a DJ spinning, artistic aperitifs flowing and tapas being shared. Every morning, Añejo presents breakfast bites which are made to go, reminiscent of an acai bowl or inexperienced juice.
- At La Reserva, situated subsequent to Añejo, company can select from an extended listing of premium rums and have the chance to create their very own rum bland and infusions.
- Positioned subsequent to the foyer is the resort’s wonderful wellness heart, which presents a serene expertise from the second of arrival. The spa’s impartial coloration palette and wealthy pure textures together with wooden and stone lengthen the tranquility throughout key areas together with a pre-treatment leisure lounge and post-treatment indoor cabana. The elevated males’s and ladies’s locker rooms function steam rooms and personal showers, in addition to out of doors terraces with scorching and funky hydrotherapy swimming pools. There are 18 spa remedy rooms that are outfitted with waterfall showers, personal sauna and steam rooms, and whirlpool tubs. There’s additionally a particular hammam room for distinctive Turkish tub experiences. All kinds of therapies is obtainable, together with Ayurvedic and sound therapeutic spa therapies, a two-hour conventional hammam ritual, 90-minute sense of India rituals, and 60-minute or 90-minute Abhyanga therapeutic massage. Subsequent to the spa is health heart with state-of-the-art Technogym gear and an exterior area for ocean-view yoga and spin courses framed by the encircling tropical panorama.
- Moreover enjoyable on the seaside, close to the swimming pools, and within the spa, company on the 4 Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo may take pleasure in a bevy of complimentary actions. This contains guided hikes, cooking courses, sundown browsing, Latin dance courses, and chocolate rum tastings (a every day schedule of complimentary actions is supplied at check-in)). When that’s not sufficient, resort company even have entry to the Papagayo Explorers Membership. Right here, adventurists have the chance to go on an astounding number of adrenaline-inducing excursions, all led by knowledgeable guides. Assume outrigger canoeing, biking volcanic slopes, river rafting, coral gardening, exploring mango forests, night time walks, and birdwatching. It doesn’t matter what exercise you select, there’s all the time a great probability you’ll spot monkeys, coatis and splendid birds, like parakeets and woodpeckers,.
- The property is managed by 4 Seasons, most likely one of the best recognized luxurious resort model on the planet. The Toronto-based firm has reworked the hospitality business in a story of continuous innovation, exceptional growth and a single-minded dedication to the very best of requirements. 4 Seasons was based in 1960 by the younger architect Isadore Sharp, however the actual breakthrough of the model got here within the seventies with the opening of the 4 Seasons London. Though the corporate went public in 1986, the Sharp household – together with a bunch of like-minded buyers reminiscent of Invoice Gates and Saudi Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal – took the corporate personal once more in 2007 to guard the integrity of the model effectively into the longer term.
CONS & THINGS TO KNOW
- As you would possibly anticipate from a 4 Seasons resort, the general decor is stylish, traditional and timeless. Though the resort underwent a whole refurbishment in 2018, the room decor would possibly really feel just a little dated nonetheless resulting from the usage of a darkish picket flooring, darkish furnishings (within the room), and yellow marble (within the lavatory). I imagine a impartial and soothing coloration palette would have labored higher, though I perceive that the architects opted for a coloration scheme consistent with the vacation spot. As well as, the room terrace includes a form of display screen to guard from mosquitos, nevertheless it can’t be eliminated, which could depart company just a little disconnected from the gorgeous open air when contained in the room. Additionally understand that solely the rooms on the upper flooring take pleasure in unobstructed views of the seaside and/or ocean
- The property’s public space is mainly simply in a single location and centered across the swimming pools, so this space would possibly really feel very busy throughout occasions of excessive occupancy. The solar loungers across the swimming pools are organized very shut to one another, which is perhaps annoying when the property is working at full capability (which was the case throughout my go to). Nevertheless, when the pool space feels too crowded, you possibly can all the time hit the close by seashores, the place there’s loads of area to take pleasure in a day in whole privateness and quietness.
- The resort could be very common amongst households with kids, they usually could overtake your complete pool space, particularly in the course of the North American college holidays. There’s all the time the adults-only pool to retreat to, nevertheless it’s a small pool situated straight under the principle pool (so you’ll nonetheless hear kids enjoying and screaming). in case you are on the lookout for an adults-only resort or a romantic getaway, this won’t be one of the best place for you (until you journey outdoors the varsity holidays).
- The clientele on the 4 Seasons Resort Costa Rica is usually comprised of North American company, and the resort creates an ambiance that’s clearly geared in direction of them. For instance, in the principle bar of Bahia Restaurant close to the pool, there are a couple of massive TV screens that broadcast American sport video games. Additionally, throughout sure days, loud music is performed by a resident DJ close to Playa Virador till the early night. Some company would possibly like that after all (because it actually contributes to a vigorous ambiance) though it won’t be to the liking of these vacationers in quest of tranquility and serenity.
- 4 Seasons Resort Costa Rica is the most costly resort in Costa Rica. Throughout excessive season, the room charges are $1400 USD an evening on common (though IMHO, the room decor falls wanting expectations primarily based on the worth charged). Drinks, meals and excursions at very costly as effectively (for instance, breakfast – when not included within the room fee – will set you again $50 to $70 USD per individual). After all, it’s 4 Seasons (and a great one) and the gorgeous location is unmatched, so that you’re paying for the model title and the setting (which is ok, so long as that entering into).
- Though the secluded location of 4 Seasons Resort Costa Rica on the Peninsula Papagayo is a part of the attraction for many company, it’s vital to emphasise that the resort is faraway from nearly all the things, so that you gained’t discover any eating places, retailers or night time life inside an hour drive of the resort. Nevertheless, company of the 4 Seasons do have entry to all of the services on the Peninsula Papagayo, which features a good number of eating places and bars unfold all around the peninsula (such because the eating places of the close by Andaz Costa Rica Resort).
- Location: 9/10
- Design: 8/10
- Pool: 9/10
- Rooms: 8/10
- Meals: 8/10
- Breakfast: 8/10
- Spa: 9/10
- Service: 9/10
- Worth for cash: 8/10
- General expertise: superb 8,8/10
TIPS FOR FUTURE GUESTS & SAVE MONEY
- Get monetary savings: get complimentary VIP perks at 4 Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo when reserving through Virtuoso (e.g. improve, every day breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD meals & beverage credit score).
- Get monetary savings: learn right here my suggestions for getting one of the best deal at a luxurious resort like 4 Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo (and/or obtain many free perks).
- Learn my suggestions for making ready your journey in time.
BEST TIME TO VISIT
The Guanacaste area has among the finest climate within the nation year-round. On common, it rains 4 occasions lower than in different areas of the nation. This implies, first, the Peninsula Papagayo is extraordinarily dry throughout dry season (from finish of December till finish of April) and, second, the wet season (Could to November) continues to be comparatively dry. Throughout wet season, days normally have sunny morning and it typically rains within the afternoons and evenings. That stated, it does rain – and may pour for a complete afternoon and even days in a row. In the event you’re desirous about scuba diving and snorkeling, know that these rainier months are one of the best occasions to go to.
HOW TO GET THERE
To go to the Peninsula Papagayo, it is strongly recommended that you just fly out and in of Guanacaste Airport, beforehand generally known as Daniel Oduber Quirós Worldwide Airport. From this airport, it is just a 40 min drive to the Peninsula Papagayo (the resort can arange transfers). Click on right here for an inventory of airways that supply direct flights to Guanacaste Airport.
Beneath is a choice of my pictures of 4 Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo. To view extra pictures of the resort (together with breakfast and dinner), click on right here.